Sunday, June 11, 2006

And so, the downhill ride of my life begins one year early.

[ORIGINAL POST]

[mood|sadsad]
[music|Suneohair - ワルツ]

Yesterday was my buddy Chris's graduation party. I went with Sean and his g/f and it took us 30-40 minutes to get there (Angela said she "had plans"... so I guess that's that). And when we got there... wow, what a house! It was easily five times the size of my own. We met his own tall & skinny vegetarian friends too and I forgot their names within seconds (to my regret). The food was great, and later we bet on a mechanical ostrich and kangaroo.

Still, I wasn't completely happy. With Chris gone and graduated (along with three others from our class also at the party), Japanese is really not going to be anymore fun. I love everyone in our upper-level class, and classes with them were always fun "breaks" from the tedium of the language classes. I was close with them, but because they were a year ahead and at least a few years older, there was always a certain level of admiration... which for me is the ideal relationship. And now they're gone.

And it wouldn't be a stretch to say that Chris is the coolest person I've ever met, on- or offline. As apparently one of the few people in our classes who didn't already know Japanese (or some other foreign language), we always got along well, finding fault with as many things as we could. There were plenty of good times (like when we went to the Japan museum in Little Tokyo as a Japan Club activity), and not many bad times, though that "grammaticalization" nightmare a year ago comes to mind. Chris, my friend, we may never fully grasp the proper usage of 「は」 and 「が」、 but I know you'll do fine in Japan and in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment