Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Updating Vita from 3.65 Enso to 3.74 with Henkaku

I'm a year behind on Vita stuff! The latest firmware for the Vita is 3.74. 

I decided to update my Japanese Vita 2000 because NoNpDrm wasn't as easy to use as I thought and I wanted to use that official alarm clock app again. I was aware I wouldn't be able to use Adrenaline anymore, but actual PSPs are better for everything a PSP can do (save for the smaller screen size and save states for PS1 games), and actual PSPs don't have the extra lag Adrenaline does.

My 32 GB Vita memory card should be good enough for all the officially purchased Japanese Vita and PSP games I want to play.

There are a lot of required updates to get everything running on 3.74, so I'm just going to document the order in which I do things:

  1. UPDATING TO THE LATEST OFFICIAL FIRMWARE: I couldn't simply update from 3.65 to 3.74 through Wi-Fi even if I disabled spoofing, and eventually I had to reboot in Safe Mode and start from scratch. I think I selected Restore System here. Signing in again, I used the 2FA secondary password I had made for my Vita a while back.
  2. GETTING HENLOhttps://deploy.psp2.dev/
  3. UPDATING VITASHELL: My VitaShell was on 2.02, but the latest is a 2.04 unofficial fork which is what you want for 3.74. I can't use VitaShell to update VitaShell, and installing henkaku doesn't restore Molecular shell. Using the Vita's browser you can go to https://deploy.psp2.dev/ for the HENlo app, install henkaku and VitaDeploy,  and delete your existing VitaShell icon if you haven't already. Go to Vita Settings and enable Unsafe Homebrew, use VitaDeploy's file browser to open the old 2.02 VitaShell (which isn't truly VitaShell I guess), then install the 2.04 vpk and launch that on the Vita home screen. 
  4. USING SD2VITA: VitaDeploy has a tool for this built in.

Edit: Trying again with my 1000:
  1. On Enso bubble, hit Triangle to uninstall hack. Restarts. 
  2. Vita prompts to update system software, but upon getting from Wi-Fi it says already it's already on the latest (C3-12049-6). Memory card updates database. Stuck... Trying Settings > Restore Settings. That did the trick! New system software is downloading and installing. 
  3. Bubbles will return (if blank) by going to VitaShell > Refresh LiveArea... but will take a LONG time (several minutes for 1%), and will stop around 20-30% because you'll run out of actual space on the LiveArea (max is 10 pages)... so collect your bubbles in folders and try again, maybe multiple times. 
  4. For white/invisible bubbles, tap on them to get to the splash screen (no need to actually start it), and at this point the bubble icon will reappear but still remain invisible on the main LiveArea through the folder preview. To get them visible there, get all the icons in a folder visible, then move an icon out of the folder and then move it back in. Don't just move the icon; you have to actually set it down it outside a bubble, then enable moving and move it back inside a bubble again. 
  5. Even after all this, games that were NOT Vita games remained invisible on the LiveArea screen, but were able to be transferred from the Vita to a PC in Content Manager. 

No comments:

Post a Comment