Sunday, July 4, 2010

YouTube, Google, annoyances and workarounds


A bit of history...

March 2006: "TripleLei" takes the YouTube world by storm with his self-made hardcore gaming vids and other rare gaming vids.

May 2008: My hard drive crashes. Every video and document I've ever made and didn't back up is lost forever.

June 2008: Can't Stop Productions takes down my Elite Beat Agents video from YouTube for no other reason than the stage plays a cover of Y.M.C.A. (low-bitrate and with sound effects, to boot). The only reason they find out about it at all is because I was foolish enough that I wanted people to find out about it by searching "ymca" so I included that in the tags. The account goes down with the video.

July 2008: "MrCopyrightViolator" YouTube account is created.

July 2010 (today): Either YouTube/Google changed their policies or the recent blackouts & random PC resets really messed up my browser's cookies... but I can't stay signed into Gmail (and other Google services) and YouTube at the same time. Since the "TripleLei" YouTube account was banned, my main Gmail account can't ever have a YouTube account since they forced you to link accounts (and signing in with that Gmail account simply tells you "this account is suspended" - you don't even get to access an account control panel). My new YouTube account is linked to some other Gmail account, so I have to choose between staying signed in for Gmail or staying signed in for YouTube.


The workarounds, found by following these links in this order:
So now I'm going to need a separate button on my Vista toolbar just for YouTube, and I'm still going to need to click a few times to go to YouTube and sign in. It would've been easier if I Google Chrome allowed Incognito mode to be in its own separate tab and not require a separate browser instance... But it would've been a whole lot easier if Can't Stop Productions left well-meaning people alone and followed fair use laws. I'd tell them to eat a bag of dicks, but something tells me they'd like that anyway.

...

Then again, I think I'll just keep my YouTube account signed in on Firefox. I keep the browser around for YouTube downloading purposes anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment