Thursday, June 2, 2016

So it was the cable!

Not-so-fun story:

Some months ago I let my Loopy-modded 3DS fall onto the hardwood floor. I picked it up and I heard something rattling when I shook it. Then I tried the only micro USB cable I could find to test the capture card and I couldn't get a picture to display. Note that this was after my Katsukity Vita capture card didn't want to work on Windows 10 anymore, so I was pretty crushed.

Fast-forward to today and I'm charging everything I know that has a lithium battery. The Dual Shock 4 was last. So I grabbed that same micro USB cable and tried charging it with my laptop. No reaction. I tried charging the DS4 hooked up directly to the PS4 (and the PS4 was turned on, of course). No reaction. The battery indicator wasn't even moving like I saw in a YouTube video.

I went to the living room and found where all the phone chargers were, and I grabbed an unused micro USB cable. And that cable charged my Dual Shock 4! Then I tried it with the 3DS capture card and it worked too!

So I guess the moral of the story is, cables can and do go bad. The cable wasn't frayed or anything. I'd better buy some cables now.

No comments:

Post a Comment