Sunday, October 9, 2011

VirtualDub Audio Display

I can't believe I was ignorant of this for so long.

In VirtualDub: View > Audio Display

Knowing exactly when silence starts and stops makes editing out commercials a hell of a lot easier, especially when there's sound before and after any picture on screen. I always wanted something like this in VirtualDub so I wouldn't have to rip the audio, load it in Audacity, and try to guess where to edit the frames like an idiot. I don't check for VirtualDub updates that often, but I'm on version 1.9.11 right now and apparently it's been a feature for a while now.

I only started to search for a "VirtualDub Audio Display" when trying to record the anime sequences from Persona 4 (which I got yesterday -- only four days after I ordered it!). The screen would fade to white and there was a point where the music stopped and you heard a sound that signaled when a battle was going to begin. I wouldn't be able to tell how to edit the video based on frames like I normally do if I'm really looking for sound cues, and as long as VirtualDub stutters while playing videos, guessing for an exact time wasn't an option either.

Of course, now I have to keep the VirtualDub window maximized, but that's not a big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment